Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ponte Vecchio = Extent of my Italian


My meeting with the consulate a few days ago went a little something like this:

After a four hour drive downstate, I was assuming I was going to some sort of office. But when we pulled up to a beautiful house, I realized it wasn't going to be like I expected. I also expected a 20 something year old Italian man at the door. In reality there was a 60 year old man, shorter than me, and with glasses that took up about 70% of his face. He had a warm inviting smile as he motioned us into his home. We walked in and sat down in his office.
The first thing I noticed about this man when he opened his mouth: he must be speaking Italian/English. His accent was thick. But needless to say he was very friendly and helpful.

After listening to his stories and finally signing one piece of paper (I know, we drove 4 hours to sign something) he showed us to the door, assuring me that piemonte was a beautiful place. We left, saying "bye bye".

And that was the consulate appointment. The days are just dwindling right on down. 24 days or so by my counting. The funny thing is - it hasn't really hit me yet. I have brief periods where in my head I'm like "wait a second... I'm actually going to Italy in less than a month" but then the thought disappears as fast as Michael Moore drives away from a McDonalds drive thru.

Anywho, the picture to the right is the "ponte vecchio" and my deep understanding of the Italian language leads me to believe that actually means "Old Bridge" in English. I think I'm living not to far away from that. Which is an awesome thing to think about when I'm having one of those "oh no I'm going to miss Traverse City too much" days.
The next 24 or so days will likely be filled with driving around the town, taking pictures, and hanging out with my friends. And all the little things that come with that.

2 comments:

JessieL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JessieL said...

My name is Jessica Larsen, i am 15, and recently I have been looking into traveling abroad to Italy. and I came a crossed your AFS blog and I decided I would comment you.

I am sorry if this is strange and weird. I can sometimes be like that.
:]

but anyway,
I was wondering what the processes was like to get to Italy,
like with AFS and stuff
and also how did you bring up wanting to travel abroad with your parents?
were they reluctant at first to let you go?
I am just really really interested in going my senior year,
which would be in two years
and I figure I should start saving now!
also, do you know what the final price of the whole trip was?


well, if you could get back to me that would be great!
but if you think that some random girl emailing you while you are enjoying ITALY is creepy, i totally understand!


thanks!
Jessica Larsen.
:D